The global automated material handling (AMH) equipment market is valued at US$ 46 billion in 2022 and is expected to top a valuation of US$ 91 billion by 2032, registering a CAGR of 7% from 2022 to 2032.
Material handling encompasses a broad spectrum of operations, such as movement, storage, protection, and management, that occur during the manufacturing, warehousing, distribution, consumption, and disposal of items and materials. It is now regularly carried out using automated material handling equipment to decrease human interference and boost logistics management.
One of the key factors anticipated to propel the rise in automated material handling equipment sales over the forecast period is the integration of new technologies like AI, IoT, machine learning, and robots. By enabling efficient and real-time order picking in production operations, these technologies enable businesses to expedite their material handling processes.
Moreover, distribution centres using advanced technology, like Autonomous Guided Vehicles (AGV), allow businesses to manage massive amounts of repetitive material moves, leading to higher productivity. With the use of such technology, automobiles may easily change their navigational routes while receiving real-time feedback from their immediate surroundings.
Why is the market for AMH equipment growing so quickly?
“Industry 4.0 and Smart Factories Advent”
The arrival of Industry 4.0 and smart factories is anticipated to be advantageous for the material handling sector. In order to assess operational effectiveness and reduce waste, the complete production line—including selecting, sorting, and transportation systems—needs to be monitored at every level.
All processes in such settings may be monitored thanks to smart factories that are connected to automated technology. Also, numerous user-friendly technologies found in material handling systems, such as data analytics and cloud connectivity, improve the performance of assets and provide usable real-time data. Along with such automated systems installed in facilities are wireless remote control systems that speed up commissioning and help with improved diagnostics.
Booming e-commerce Sector to Support Market Expansion
Process automation is in great demand due to the worldwide expansion of the e-Commerce sector. Automated technologies are increasingly being used by Walmart, Amazon, and other large retailers to carry out tasks accurately, quickly, safely, and affordably.
For instance, in January 2021, Amazon signed a contract with Baylo, a French robotic software business. The design and development of new robotic systems for material handling vehicles will benefit from this cooperation. Also, this tactical move will enhance Amazon’s material handling procedures in its warehouses.
The automated material handling equipment market is extremely competitive. Key players in the automated material handling equipment market are using growth tactics such as product launches, significant investment in research & development, and partnerships and acquisitions to maintain the intense competition.
- In August 2022, Interroll celebrated its 20th anniversary in China by opening a new plant in Suzhou. After two decades of success in the Chinese material-handling industry, Interroll has now completely prepared for future prospects in the Asia Pacific and China by putting a new factory in Suzhou, China, into full operation, virtually doubling manufacturing capabilities.
- In December 2021, KION Group established a new forklift truck manufacturing facility in China to provide supply chain solutions. The facility in Jinan has a total volume of around 140 million for the future production of industrial vehicles.
- In August 2021, Toyota Material Handling Japan launched the SenS+ operation assist system, which identifies and detects objects and pedestrians behind the forklift and automatically controls and stops the truck’s rearward speed.
Key Companies Profiled
- Flexlink AB
- Bastian Solutions
- Toyota Industries Corporation
- KION Group AG
- BEUMER Group GmbH & Co. KG
- Murata Machinery, Ltd
- Swisslog Holding AG
- Daifuku Co., Ltd
- SSI SCHAEFER
- Honeywell Intelligrated
- Hytrol Conveyor Co., Inc
- Jungheinrich AG